6 people Dead in a Fire Accident, E-Bikes Showroom, Hyderabad, India

Reportedly 8 people died, 6 confirmed by the fire department, and several jumped off to save themselves after a fire broke out in an e-bike showroom at Hyderabad, India.

The mishap happened after 10pm yesterday, when the E-bikes/Electric Scooters that were stored in the ground floor in an E-Bike showroom, which engulfed the upper floors. The upper floor housed a lodge/hotel/dormitory and as a result the casualty were high. The incident happened in Secunderabad, India.


  • Fire broke out in ground floor of an e-bike showroom, which spread to upper floors
  • Six people were killed in the fire mishap, upper floor(s) housed a lodge/hotel.
  • Fire/Police told the fire could have resulted due to short circuit or a faulty e-bike battery.

"At least six people, including a woman, were killed after a major fire broke out at an electric showroom at Secunderabad on Monday night", Secunderabad Police said.

The unfortunate building located near the passport office, where the fire broke out at around 10 pm.

Telangana | Six dead after a fire broke out at a hotel in Secunderabad. Fire broke out in electric scooter recharging unit on ground floor, smoke from which overpowered the people staying on 1st & 2nd floors: Hyderabad Commissioner CV Anand

When the hotel staff and guests noticed the smell and smoke emanating, they immediately alerted the fire department. Fire tenders rushed to the spot and doused the flames, however by the time they controlled fire and rescued, they found that at least 6 people had succumbed to the obnoxious smoke.

According to the preliminary investigation by the Secunderabad Police, they revealed that the electric scooters were being charged on the ground floor, which may have caused the initiation of fire due to a short circuit or a faulty battery. At the time of the incident around 24 people were trapped inside that ill-fated building, out of which six were confirmed dead on the spot, while others were rescued. It is told that most of the victims belonged to other states.

"Six dead after a fire broke out at a hotel in Secunderabad. Fire broke out in an electric scooter recharging unit on the ground floor, smoke from which overpowered the people staying on 1st and 2nd floors. Remaining people jumped from the building and were rescued by locals. They were rushed to the hospital, fire tenders on the spot," Hyderabad Commissioner CV Anand told ANI. 

Due to thick smoke engulfing the upper floors from the ground floor, the occupants of the upper floors were affected without a chance to escape.

It is a very unfortunate incident. Fire brigade teams tried their best to rescue people from the lodge but due to heavy smoke, some people died. Some people were rescued from the lodge. We are probing how the incident happened," Telangana Home Minister Mohd Mahmood Ali told ANI.

Additional DCP, North Zone Hyderabad had said,

"The fire occurred due to a short circuit. There is a lodge above the showroom in which people were trapped. Currently, five people have died in the incident. A rescue operation is underway."

Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled the deaths in the fire mishap and announced financial aid of Rs 2 lakh to the next of kin of each deceased.

It was noted that State Animal Husbandry Minister, T. Srinivas Yadav had rushed to the spot and was monitoring the rescue and relief operation.

RH News Observation & Recommendation:

  • All of the electric scooter whose batteries are charged should be done under supervision, OR at least not left on it's own locked inside a building unsupervised.
  • Charging any Lithium-based battery to it's full should be done only when necessary, as they don't like to be fully charged.
  • Over charging a Lithium Battery is very dangerous, remember the incidents few years back of the mobile phone batteries catching fire during over-night charging. Same recommendation applies here.
  • Always maintain a good service/health record of the battery of e-Bike or e-Scooter or any Electric Vehicle up to date, that is a must.
  • Always adhere to manufacturer/supplier's recommendation.
  • EV's are the future, but adapting to the new technology should be done right, else fear will replace the necessity.
May the departed souls, rest in peace.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post